Our Internship Programme
Our internship programme is designed to provide experience that is relevant to future careers in research advocacy, outreach and networking. It offers mentoring opportunities and formal training to students coming to the end of their university education or those at an early stage of their working lives.
Types of internships
- Research interns – these provide research assistance to the research directorate, and contribute their research, analysis and writing skills to studies intended for publication in different research areas. Responsibilities may include doing primary research, literature reviews, survey design, data collection, data analysis (qualitative or quantitative) and technical and editorial writing.
- Program interns - these provide assistance to ACODE’s programs and outreach initiatives, and develop the knowledge and skills necessary to manage successful programming in a think tank environment. Responsibilities may include database management, event hosting and co-ordination, communication, office administration, personnel management, and outreach.
Internship programmes last up to 3 months and are available mainly within the research directorate but also in some non-research departments such as Communications, Publishing, Events Management, among others. Largely, internships have unpaid tenure but they are designed to support and foster career development. They are offered on a flexible basis so that, trainees and students can fit their internship around ongoing research works, research processes, part-time work, and other commitments.
Interns can expect to gain direct exposure to the work and management of ACODE as a one of the global leading think-tanks including opportunities to:
- Attend research seminars, workshops and discussion groups hosted by ACODE or collaborating organisations.
- Attend some events addressed by high level policy makers, politicians, diplomats, academics, business leaders, journalists and other experts drawn from the country, region and global networks.
- Attend conferences on a range of emerging issues critical to, governance, business and policy concerns.
- Access the library and information service, including complimentary research enquiry service and the free to borrow text books and other research material at any one time.
- Produce meeting summaries and minutes to develop writing and editing skills.
- Participate in training courses, including learning styles, effective communications, presentation and leadership skills.
- Participate in scheduled review meetings to discuss progress and development; and on completion of the internship, make a written report for ACODE records.
- Get complimentary copies of ACODE publications.
- Travel reimbursement when the interns go for fieldwork.
- Certificate signed by the Executive Director of ACODE, upon successful completion of Internship.
How To Apply
- Applications must be received by the application deadline and should include a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample. These materials will not be returned to applicants.
- A cover letter must include: applicant's university, graduation year, degree program and what the applicant majored in.
- Two letters of reference, with at least one from a faculty member, and contact details of referees.
- A full curriculum vitae
- Applications sent via email must be MS Word or PDF attachments and must use the email subject header "Internship Application."
- The intern projects described may be subject to change. Include in your cover letter an indication of the project(s) that you are most interested in and qualified for.
- Writing samples should be a brief example of your research and writing abilities.
- Please keep your writing sample to six pages or less. If needed, further samples will be requested from short-listed candidates.
- Applications must be sent only once. For example, if an application is sent via mail, do not also send it via email.
Internships are advertised on the ACODE website when they become available. Applications should be emailed to the:
The Executive Director
Advocates Coalition for Development and Environment (ACODE)
Plot 96, Kanjokya Street, Kamwokya
P. O. Box 29836 Kampala Uganda
Tel: +256 312 812 150